What to do, what not to do

I've never been that diligent of a flosser.  I know it's one of those things you're supposed to do, but I have kind of a small mouth so it's hard to get my hands in there, and some of my teeth are really close together, so it's hard to get the floss in some of the spaces, so it takes me at least 5 minutes to floss.  I don't have that kind of time in the morning when taking even one extra minute means missing the bus, and in the evening it seems like there are 10,000 things to do before I go to bed, and I never get to bed on time as it is.  I really need to stop doing "one more thing" before I go to bed.  I need to get more sleep.

But you know what?  Since I've switched to a vegan diet and I've been drinking just water and decaf tea, on the rare occasions when I have flossed, there's virtually nothing coming out on the floss.  So since it seemed like a lot of work for very little benefit, I've pretty much stopped flossing.  I flossed the night before my dentist appointment the other day, but that's been about it.

So I went to my appointment, curious to see what they would say.  The cleaning went easier than it ever has.  Much less scraping.  I was leaning back wondering if there was just less to scrape away (as I suspected), or if I had a really gentle hygienist, when suddenly she was finished.  In about a third the time it used to take.  She said my teeth were in great shape and I had very little build up.  Well, alrighty then.

Then the dentist came in and looked at my teeth and said they looked great.  So my conclusion is eating vegan and drinking only water and tea is really good for your teeth.  When I ate dairy there was a lot more gunk to scrape off, even though I was using a tartar control toothpaste. 

Hate having your teeth cleaned?  Go vegan.

So I was feeling pretty good about myself after that.  Then I picked up a prescription from the pharmacy.  I'm tapering off my Topamax since it doesn't really work for me anymore, so instead of taking 200mg twice a day, I'm now taking 175mg twice a day for a month, then decreasing the dose by 25mg each month.  Problem is, there's no 175mg pill, so this month I have to take 7 25mg pills each time, next month 6, and so on.  So I brought home my 90 day supply (1080 pills), opened the bottle and poured some into my hand to fill my weekly pill dispenser, set the bottle down on the kitchen counter, and promptly knocked it over, spilling about half the pills out.

Guh.  Put a "Klutz" sign on my forehead.

It could have been worse.  I could have spilled the pills out onto the floor.  I could have spilled them out into the sink and even down the drain.  I could have spilled them into the gap between the counter and the stove.  So, really I was lucky that I only spilled the approximately 500 tiny little pills onto the clean counter and only a few of them went under the humidifier and the toaster.  Yeah.  Lucky.

Lesson #1 learned:  If you're setting down a bottle of 1080 pills, set it down far enough out of reach that you can't knock it over.

Lesson #2 learned:  A letter opener is a useful tool for retrieving small pills from underneath a humidifier.